Thursday, October 18, 2012

How Romney lost (or never had) me

I'm blatantly linking to someone who says what I'm thinking better than I can.  It encapsulates why I can't support the Republicans with a few exceptions this time around, and it encapsulates why I can't support Romney in particular.

This is something which I think a lot of people don't understand.  I'm worried about fiscal sustainability; I favor cutting benefits and tax deductions for the rich; I dislike a lot of what public sector unions stand for; and I favor tax reform more generally.  I even have some moderately socially conservative positions too, combined with my desire to smash the gender binary to little itty bitty pieces.  But, on Nov. 5, 2008, I woke up, went to work, checked the news, and felt sick for the rest of the day.  The voters of California painted a target on my chest, and at that moment I became radicalized.

Under federal law, I'm still considered less of a citizen than others because I'm not romantically attracted to women.  The particular issue in this link--the ability to sponsor someone--affects me personally.  So long as there are people out there defending the so-called DOMA and saying that I have no right to love whom I love on my terms, I can't support them. They can have better views on fiscal policy or public employee unions than the other guy, but this is personal.

See this Youtube video for what I mean.  Romney may have no core convictions--this isn't always bad in a politician--but he certainly acts like it in this instance.  I can't trust him to have no convictions in this case.  "Trust me, I'm lying?"

Those who aren't against me are with me, but I am against those who are against me. Sorry, that's how it works. You haven't earned my vote.  You're a disappointment.  Not being the other guy is not reason enough for me to vote for you.

Coming next:  How Obama lost me

1 comment:

The Honourable Husband said...

Quite. Let me tell you my story, someday...