Saturday, March 31, 2012

The stages of acceptance / moving to Germany

Well-made video. The thing with the groceries happened to me the first time I went shopping here, and it actually made me completely break down. I had to walk two miles in the rain with my groceries in my arms, after which I got to a wet doorknob. I dropped my eggs on the ground at that point.



It's the little stuff that gets to you--waiting for the green pedestrian light, rechts vor links, trying to pass people on the sidewalk. You're cruising along, thinking you're doing OK, and then things come to a complete screeching halt.

Think of that dream where your mom is still your mom but you find out she's in a metal band and keeps a snake for a pet. It's like that.

It really took me about two and a half years to work out all of these small things, after which I began to adapt much more quickly. Now I'm a foreigner both here and in America.

P.S. The word for "whipped cream" is "die Schlagsahne".

No comments: